Oregon ATV Safety Education Card (All OHVs):

If you are riding in “public OHV riding areas” in Oregon, you must have a valid ATV Safety Education card by the dates listed below. This includes all Off-highway Vehicles (OHV): ATVs, 3-wheelers, 4x4s, motorcycles/dirt bikes, and side by sides. In order to receive your card, all operators must take the Oregon “On-line ATV Safety Education Course.”

ATV Safety Education Card On-Line Course Link:

To start Oregon’s online course, click the following link: http://www.rideatvoregon.org/ (The course will take a couple of hours on-line.) Everyone, no matter what age, must have their card by January 1, 2014. For more information about Oregon’s program, click on the following link: http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/Permits.shtml

Operator requirements (applies only to public OHV riding areas):

All operators must hold a valid ATV Safety Education Card – phased in:

  • Jan. 1, 2009 Youth 15 and under and adults supervising youth
  • Jan. 1, 2010 30 and under
  • Jan. 1, 2011 40 and under
  • Jan. 1, 2012 50 and under
  • Jan. 1, 2013 60 and under
  • Jan. 1, 2014 All riders must have an ATV safety education card
  • Youth under 18 must wear a DOT approved helmet with the chin strap fastened.
  • Youth under 16: must be supervised by an adult who is at least 18 years old and holds a valid ATV Safety Education Card and can provide immediate assistance and direction to the children must meet Rider Fit rules. As of January 1, 2012, youth must also successfully complete a hands-on training course.

Out of State ATV Permits:

In addition to your ATV Safety Education card, you must have an ATV/OHV Operating Permit. “The ATV must have a resident state ATV/OHV Operating Permit or a State of Oregon ATV Operating Permit to operate the ATV on designated ATV areas.” In otherwords, if you have an Idaho Permit, you do not need an Oregon Permit because their reciprocity agreement with several states.

Oregon will honor off road permits from the following states:

Arizona http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/off_highway.shtml
California http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1140
Idaho http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/recreation/motorbikesandatvs.aspx
Illinois http://dnr.state.il.us/publications/pdf/00000011.pdf
Indiana http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4229.htm
Montana http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/grants/ohv/default.html
Nevada http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-490.html#NRS490Sec080
North Dakota http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/recreation/ohv/index.html
Pennsylvania http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/registration.aspx
South Carolina
Utah http://stateparks.utah.gov/ohv
Washington *
Wisconsin http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cs/registrations/atv.htm
Source: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department ATVs / ATV Permits http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/Permits.shtml